Work will involve the following:
- Site establishment works.
- Construction of the 220m rail flyover (bridge).
- Construction of new single line track.
- Associated signalling works.
“This work is part a $15 million project jointly funded by the Rudd Labor Government and the ARTC and involves the construction of a new 7 pier bridge close to the Tottenham Rail Yard.”
The new bridge will provide a seamless connection between Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, eliminating the need to shunt trains around within Tottenham Yard which can add an hour to transport time, in addition to congesting the network.
The work is being undertaken through the Southern Improvement Alliance and the structure is expected to be completed in October 2009 with the line brought into operations in 2010.
Southern Improvement Alliance contracted Gertzel Engineering Surveyors to provide
- Setout/as built of associated earthworks, Sydney & Adelaide Abutment for new track formation/batter etc.
- Set out Drainage/ Retaining Walls.
- Monitoring of existing ARTC track while excavating Sydney Abutment (Sheet piling) in order to detect track movement.
- All bridge structural setout foundations, columns, cross heads, beams & bridge deck.
- Verifying all beam lengths prior to erecting on site, including a visit to Launceston to measure the steel box girder.
- As built of piles, capping beams, Abutments, pedestals to verify within tolerance of specifications.